Midlife and... Re-Entering the Work Force, or At Least Trying to

EDIT:  I originally wrote this in November and saved it as a draft.  It's still relevant, except my youngest child is now 12.  



 I've been out of the work game for exactly 10-years.  I'm comfortable raising my small army of humans.  However, they are getting older and need me less.  I've looked forward to this day but real talk, it makes me sad.  I still have a 11-year old (12 in a few weeks) that does need me, albeit she is extremely independent and very mature for her age.  She'll need me for a few more years but like her brothers, she needs me less then she used to.  With that being said, I want more.  I love keeping busy and with less of me being pulled by the kids I can open up a part of me that has been dormant for a decade.  What's that?  Work.  I have space in my life again to work.  But let me be clear, I don't want an intense job that will keep me hunched over a laptop in excess of 40-hours a week.  I don't want to go into an office, in this day and age how can a company not offer remote options. 

Re-entering the job market, midlife, is scary.  Reading through job descriptions and freaking out a bit.  Are my skills still relevant?  Do I remember how to interview? Has the tech sector changed exponentially?  I really don't know.  I'm not even looking for work that is comparable to what my last role was.  I'm looking beneath my past skill set so as not to get in over my head on day one.  I know what I excel at, I understand my own strengths and weaknesses, but I am introverted.  I thrive creating process and efficiency in everything I do.  I can do this.

Midlife and looking for work.  Will I be overlooked by the young applicant with the fresh diploma and newest knowledge of the business world?  Will my work history work in my favor?  Am I crazy?  My hormones are all over the place right now.  My mental health is ok.  My emotional health is ok but truth be told its a rollercoaster of feelings, because hormones and midlife.  You can figure that out.  My body is changing like a freakin' teenagers but opposite.  


Comments